Social media skills
You don’t have to be a copywriting master – you are looking for one! However, here are a few checkpoint questions for initial test.
Ask what their preferred size of social media posts is. Even if woken up at night, an experienced SMM copywriter will pop out something like 140-280 characters for Twitter (some old-schoolers still ask Twitter to get back to 140) and 400-500 characters for Facebook. And don’t trust those who write for Medium in No. of words – minutes of read, only minutes.
How do they address audience engagement? A good one will tell you that Facebook now pushes down click-, like- and share-bait posts, such is “Like it if you have BTC, share – if ETH”.
Also, what do they think of visuals? A true copywriter will not just worry about copy, but will think about supporting images, memes and GIFs.
PR writing skills
- Ask your candidate to think of 2-3 relevant opinion column headlines for you. Sounds like you might have said? Congrats, it’s your perfect one!
- Style guides of Reuters (to be clean and clear), VentureBeat and Entrepreneur (to write good columns) and TechCrunch (for the good pitches) should be their nightstand reading. Or known by heart.
- And remember we told you no one uses press releases anymore? Suggest a copywriter to draft a pitch plan and run in through your PR team.
And now it’s time to see how much copywriting would cost for your ICO.
We went through over a 100 various job postings from projects looking for a copywriter for their ICO.
- $2-3K – a ballpark cost for the full-time writer with some experience
- $5-6K – a cost for a full-stack SMM/PR/SEO copywriter/editor with significant experience
- 0.4-0.8K – a bootstrapping cost by some projects (the lowest number comes from India).
Historic postings from July-September 2017 show that some projects were hiring writers for 1 BTC per month. Well, those times seem to be over.
Part-time and pay as you go
If you don’t need a writer on a regular basis or are short in budget, a freelance part-timer might work for you. Here are some other numbers from the same job postings:
- $1-2K – writing/proofreading a White Paper and exec summary
- $0.5K – cost per opinion feature article. That doesn’t include the case when you need to pay for its actual placement.
- $0.5-0.7K – a content plan for a month with around 60 Facebook/Twitter posts
- $10-20 per hour – a ballpark cost when you pay an hourly rate.